William and Janet are enrolled in a food safety program that is mandated by Chicken Farmers of Canada - the organization that represents Canada's 2,800 chicken farmers.
Farmers follow a strict regiment of rules aimed at keeping the chickens healthy. William and Janet's farm is regularly visited by auditors who ensure that all aspects of the program's requirements are being followed.
Highlights of the program include:
- Restricting contact between chickens and other animals.
- Restricting access to barns to only essential people and ensuring that they sign a visitor's logbook.
- Changing into barn-specific footwear before entering the barn.
- Cleaning their barns after each flock.
- Thoroughly and routinely cleaning all equipment before it is brought into the barn.
More information about the on-farm food safety program can be found at www.chicken.ca/